We requested you all on Twitter what recipes you wished to see for May and June, and the most well-liked request by far was Strawberry Shortcake! I such as you guys.
I did fairly a little bit of analysis for this recipe however ended up having to do exactly a few tweaks to the recipe earlier than it was excellent.
Let’s not waste any time. On to the shortcakes!
This recipe is straightforward, utilizing easy-to-master strategies and 10 fundamentals elements you possible have readily available proper now. Plus, they arrive collectively in lower than 1 hour!
The shortcakes are tailored from my Best Damn Vegan Biscuits – a reader favourite. I made just a few modifications, together with a thicker vegan “buttermilk” of coconut milk as an alternative of almond milk. And I made them gluten-free with a mixture of my gluten-free flour blend, almond flour, and cornstarch.
The result’s a significantly fluffy, tender shortcake that’s excellent for strawberries and coconut whipped cream.
These shortcakes bake up superbly. I used to be so glad to see them rise properly and brown on the surface. They shaped a pleasant crust on the surface (swoon!), but remained tender and fluffy on the within.
All that’s left to do is let these infants cool. Then we get to the vital half: toppings!
For toppings, I went with Coconut Whipped Cream and strawberries sprinkled with cane sugar.
But I additionally tried them later with grilled peaches (!!) and dairy-free ice cream! Both had been scrumptious – you actually can’t go incorrect with toppings right here.
I hope you all LOVE this shortcake! It’s:
Tender on the within
Crispy on the surface
Easy to make
Vegan & Gluten-Free
& Seriously scrumptious
This would make the proper summertime dessert. I introduced mine alongside to a BBQ and so they had been gone in minutes – a non gluten-free crowd no much less!
For extra summertime desserts, take a look at my Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars, Vanilla Bean Coconut Ice Cream, Sea Salt Caramel Coconut Ice Cream, 7-Ingredient Vegan Cheesecake, Healthy Vegan Fudge, S’mores Bars, and Banana Split Smoothie!
If you do that recipe, tell us! Leave a remark, charge it, and don’t neglect to tag a photograph #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we will see. Cheers, associates!
Perfect Strawberry Shortcake (Vegan / GF)
Fluffy, tender, vegan gluten-free shortcake topped with coconut whipped cream and strawberries! The excellent particular diet-friendly dessert for summertime!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe kind: Dessert
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- ¾ cup (180 ml) gentle or full-fat coconut milk (properly shaken/stirred so no clumps stay // sub almond or rice milk with diverse outcomes)
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- elective: ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (160 g) gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 scant cup (100 g) almond flour
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) cornstarch (non-GMO when doable // or sub arrowroot starch)
- Three Tbsp (37 g) natural cane sugar*, plus extra for topping (or sub stevia to style)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Three Tbsp (45 g) coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400 levels F (204 C) and grease a baking sheet.
- In a measuring cup or small mixing bowl, mix coconut milk, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and vanilla (elective). Stir to mix and put aside.
- To a big mixing bowl, add gluten-free flour mix, almond flour, cornstarch, natural cane sugar, sea salt, and baking powder and whisk to mix. Add the coconut oil and use a pastry cutter, whisk, or fork to “lower” the oil into the flour till small bits stay.
- Add ¾ of the coconut buttermilk to the dry combination and stir with a spoon to mix. You’re searching for a semi-sticky dough, and you might not use the entire coconut milk. I used all however 1-2 Tbsp.
- If your combination appears to be like too dry, add extra coconut milk. If it appears to be like too moist, compensate with 1-2 Tbsp at a time of almond flour or gluten-free flour mix. (see photograph)
- Transfer your dough onto a properly (gluten-free) floured floor and mud the highest with somewhat gluten-free flour. Handling as little as doable, kind right into a 1-inch-thick disc together with your arms. Then utilizing a well-floured biscuit or cookie cutter (or slim consuming glass), lower out circles and switch rigorously to a greased baking sheet (arranging the shortcakes so that they contact – see photograph). Continue, reforming dough as wanted, till the entire dough is used – about 6 shortcakes.
- Brush the tops of the shortcakes with coconut milk or melted coconut oil and sprinkle with a bit extra cane sugar. Oil will assist them kind extra of a crust, whereas coconut milk will assist the biscuits stay a bit extra moist. Both work nice!
- Bake at 400 F for 15-17 minutes or till the surface is crisp and they’re starting to brown barely. Then improve warmth to 450 F (232 C) and bake for one more Three-5 minutes to brown the surface (see photograph). Watch rigorously and make sure to not burn.
- During this time, you possibly can put together your Coconut Whipped Cream (elective) and slice your strawberries. Sprinkle strawberries with sugar or stevia to sweeten + assist create a sauce (elective).
- Remove biscuits from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Then rigorously separate the shortcakes to allow them to cool utterly. It’s vital to let these cool and the steam to launch or they could be a bit on the moist facet. Room temperature is greatest for serving.
- To serve, rigorously slice shortcakes in half (elective) and high with sliced strawberries and coconut whipped cream or ice cream.
- Best when recent. Store leftover shortcakes lined at room temperature for Three days or within the freezer as much as 1 month.
*If subbing your individual GF mix or store-bought, know that the ultimate outcome could differ.
*If nut-free, you might attempt subbing the almond flour for one more gluten-free flour, corresponding to oat flour. However, I have never examined it this manner and may’t assure the outcomes.
*If not gluten free, sub the gluten free flour mix, almond flour, and cornstarch for unbleached all goal flour (or gluten flour of selection). I have never examined this recipe this manner and may’t assure the outcomes.
*You can attempt subbing the cane sugar for coconut sugar or stevia to style, however I haven’t examined it this manner and may’t assure the outcomes.
*Nutrition data is a tough estimate for 1 of 6 shortcakes with strawberries and no coconut whipped cream.
Serving measurement: 1 shortcake with strawberries Calories: 188 Fat: 11.6 g Saturated fats: eight.1 g Carbohydrates: 22.2 g Sugar: 10 g Sodium: 206 mg Fiber: 2.7 g Protein: 2.four g