While experimenting with plantain chips and garlicky guac (<- a must-try recipe, btw), I had a number of leftover plantains and was up for some experimenting.
Per standard, the massive, huge web didn’t let me down. And, in actual fact, it led me to find that, among the many many issues you are able to do with plantains, you can also make TORTILLAS with them.
I do know! It’s loopy. It’s magic. It’s scrumptious. Let’s do that!
This recipe is really easy, requiring simply Three INGREDIENTS. Again, I do know! It’s loopy!
You begin by boiling sliced inexperienced plantains for 15 minutes to melt and tenderize the fruit. Then you simply peel, throw them right into a blender or a food processor with salt, and mix till you’ve got a sticky “dough.”
Next, to roll out, I went with tapioca flour to maintain this recipe each gluten-free and grain-free.
You may also strive smashing the tortillas between wax paper or plastic luggage, however I discovered this to yield tremendous sticky dough that was unmanageable – tapioca to the rescue!
All that’s left is a fast prepare dinner in a skillet (5-6 minutes whole) and you’ve got real-life tortillas in your arms!
I do know what you’re considering – they’re most likely doughy within the center and gross and never sturdy. But no! They prepare dinner during, aren’t doughy within the slightest, and are SO sturdy I’d guess cash they’d maintain extra toppings than a conventional corn tortilla.
Yeah, I stated it.
I hope you LOVE these plantain tortillas! They’re:
Easy to make
Customizable (add garlic or herbs!)
Flexible + sturdy
Neutral in taste
& Super scrumptious
These would make the proper vessel for issues like Vegan Barbacoa, Vegan “Pulled Pork,” Quinoa Taco Meat, Garlicky Guacamole, Roasted Jalapeño Vegan Queso, Saucy Portobello Mushrooms, and 10-Minute Chimichurri. I additionally guess they’d work splendidly for enchiladas (subsequent on my record)!
I additionally suppose, if baked, they’d make a scrumptious tostada. Or, if sliced after which baked, they’d make a scrumptious chip (see notes)!
If you do this recipe, tell us! Leave a remark, price it, and don’t overlook to tag a photograph #minimalistaker on Instagram so we will see your tortillas in motion. Cheers, pals!
Three-Ingredient Plantain Tortillas
Amazing, Three-ingredient plantain tortillas! A scrumptious and easy grain-free possibility for Mexican-inspired dishes and extra. Entirely vegan and each gluten- and grain-free.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe kind: Side, Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Mexican-Inspired
- 2 giant inexperienced (unripe) plantains
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ~1/Four cup (30 g) tapioca starch for rolling out (or sub gluten-free flour or arrowroot starch with various outcomes)
- For cooking: coconut oil or avocado oil
- Slice plantains into Four sections, after which halve these sections lengthwise (high to backside // see picture).
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add plantains. Boil for 15 minutes to tenderize the plantains. Then drain and let cool barely.
- Peel plantains and discard the peel. Then add the plantain and salt to a blender or a meals processor. Blend till a ball varieties (~30 seconds) – it will likely be sticky (that is regular).
- Dust a clear floor with tapioca and take small (~Three Tbsp) quantities of the dough and dirt with tapioca. Dust a rolling pin with tapioca and roll out till virtually paper skinny (see picture). The dough is sticky so add extra tapioca is required. Repeat till all tortillas are fashioned (~10-12).
- Optional: you should use a knife or pizza cutter to make the perimeters an ideal circle, however that is elective!
- To prepare dinner, warmth a big skillet over medium warmth and calmly grease with coconut or avocado oil. Once sizzling, add one to 2 tortillas at a time (or nevertheless many match comfortably within the pan) and prepare dinner till dried out and barely browned on both aspect (~ Three min per aspect). Continue till all tortillas are cooked (no must proceed including extra oil). See notes for baking directions.
- Enjoy instantly as a vessel for issues like Vegan Barbacoa, Quinoa Taco Meat, Guacamole, and extra!
- Store cooled leftovers lined within the fridge as much as Three-Four days (although greatest when recent), or within the freezer as much as 1 month. If frozen, thaw earlier than use. Heat in a 350 diploma F (176 C) oven, or on the stovetop.
*Nutrition info is a tough estimate for 1 of ~10 tortillas.
*Recipe closely tailored from the proficient DoYouEvenPaleo.
Serving dimension: 1 tortilla (of 10) Calories: 54 Fat: zero.1 g Saturated fats: zero.1 g Carbohydrates: 14.1 g Sugar: 5.5 g Sodium: 189 mg Fiber: zero.9 g Protein: zero.5 g