I’ve been eager to share a cauliflower steak for the longest time, and my beloved model is lastly right here!
If you’ve by no means arduous cauliflower “steak,” it’s precisely what it appears like: cauliflower sliced lengthwise into “steaks,” seasoned, and both grilled or roasted (I went for roasted) till tender on the within and crispy on the skin. Swoon!
My take is easy, requiring simply 30 minutes and 10 components to arrange, which incorporates my go-to inexperienced chutney sauce!
For seasoning the cauliflower, I went with my DIY Shawarma Spice Blend, which creates a smoky, subtly spicy coating that pairs completely with the chutney.
The finish result’s PERFECT! It’s:
Tender on the within
Crispy on the skin
Served with a citrusy, herby sauce
& Incredibly wholesome!
I really like this both as a hearty facet or served atop a mattress of quinoa for extra protein (see recipe + notes for extra choices!)! It may additionally pair particularly properly with my Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Curried Butternut Squash Soup, or Chickpea Shawarma Dip!
If you do that recipe, tell us the way it goes! Leave a remark, charge it, and don’t neglect to tag a photograph #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, buddies!
Shawarma Roasted Cauliflower “Steak”
Hearty, 30-minute cauliflower steak seasoned with a smoky shawarma spices mix, roasted till tender with a crust, and served with chutney!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe sort: Entrée, Side
Cuisine: Mediterranean-Inspired, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 massive head cauliflower (600 g), rinsed, inexperienced leaves peeled
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut or olive oil (if oil-free, sub water or maple syrup)
- 1/Four tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup (if avoiding sugar, omit)
- 2 1/2 tsp shawarma spice blend (or comparable spices you’ve available!)
5-MINUTE GREEN CHUTNEY
- 1 bunch contemporary cilantro (~three ounces), stems principally eliminated
- three cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt + pepper to style (~1/Four tsp every)
- 1 massive lime, juiced (~three Tbsp or 45 ml // or sub lemon)
- 1 Tbsp sweetener (reminiscent of maple syrup (15 ml)), plus extra to style
- Water to skinny (1-2 Tbsp or 15-30 ml)
- non-compulsory: 1/2 ripe avocado for further creaminess
- Preheat oven to 400 levels F (204 C) and slice your cauliflower into 1-inch “steaks,” leaving the massive stem on the backside so it helps the “steaks” maintain collectively.
- Place on a naked or parchment-lined baking sheet and rub the “steaks” with oil (or water), sea salt, maple syrup, and shawarma spice mix to evenly coat. Be mild, because the cauliflower steaks can break aside, which is not any large deal (however it’s supreme if they continue to be in a single stable piece).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes complete, flipping fastidiously as soon as on the midway level to make sure even browning on either side, or till tender and browned.
- In the meantime, put together the chutney by including all components (moreover water // avocado is non-compulsory) to a food processor or high-speed blender and mix on excessive to mix, scraping down sides as wanted. Then add water till a creamy sauce is shaped.
- Taste and regulate taste as wanted, including extra maple syrup for sweetness, salt for general taste, garlic for kick, or lime for acidity. Add to a serving dish (retailer leftovers lined within the fridge for Four-5 days).
- Serve by plating cauliflower and drizzling with chutney sauce. This makes a beneficiant facet dish, or to make this a extra full meal, serve over a mattress of quinoa, alongside beans or hummus, or with roasted greens and tahini (like this salad).
- Store leftover cauliflower steaks within the fridge as much as 2 days, although greatest when contemporary. Reheat in a sizzling skillet on the stovetop or in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven.
Serving measurement: 1/2 of recipe* Calories: 144 Fat: eight g Saturated fats: 1 g Carbohydrates: 18.three g Sugar: eight.three g Sodium: 643 mg Fiber: 5.5 g Protein: Four.1 g