After many requests for vegan poutine, it’s lastly right here! Without additional ado, let’s leap into it!
This recipe requires 10 substances and about 1 hour to arrange (as soon as your cheese is made!).
The base, after all, is crispy baked fries! I found that cooking the fries in a little bit of oil on parchment paper allowed them to get crispy on the surface and tender on the within with out ever sticking to the pan.
While your fries cook dinner, it’s gravy time. For my gravy, I went with a mixture of mushroom and shallot for taste and heartiness, cornstarch or arrowroot to thicken, almond milk and vegetable inventory to skinny and add extra taste, and loads of salt, pepper, and a touch of vinegar and coconut aminos to deliver extra depth of taste.
I did numerous testing and analysis when it got here to gravy, and this by far was my favourite! I hope you get pleasure from it as a lot as we did.
All that’s left to do is add cheese, brown within the oven, and prime with gravy!
Traditional poutine doesn’t require the cheese curd to be cooked, however my model isn’t conventional – it’s vegan, in any case. Plus, the Vegan Mozzarella Cheese “curds” style greatest once they’ve received a little bit a little bit coloration on them! And who wouldn’t need melty, gooey cheese on their fries?
I hope you all LOVE these fries! They’re:
& SO Satisfying
This is the right dish to get pleasure from on sport days, on chilly fall and winter evenings, or while you’re craving a hearty appetizer or snack. I believe these puppies are scrumptious on their very own, however they’d additionally pair effectively with a chilly beer or white wine sangria (clearly), my Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, Easy Grillable Veggie Burger, or Vegan ‘Pulled Pork’ Sandwich.
If you do that recipe, tell us the way it goes! Leave a remark, fee it, and don’t overlook to tag a photograph #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, buddies!
Easy Vegan Poutine
Vegan poutine with crispy potatoes, savory mushroom gravy, and melty vegan cheese curds! The good plant-based various to this Canadian basic.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe kind: Side, Appetizer
Cuisine: Canadian-Inspired, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Four russet potatoes (~800 g) , unpeeled (or sub candy potatoes for a savory-sweet poutine!)
- Three-Four Tbsp (45-60 ml) avocado or melted coconut oil (if avoiding oil, see notes)
- half of tsp sea salt
- Three Tbsp (45 g) avocado or melted coconut oil (if avoiding oil, sub water)
- 2 shallots (50 g), minced
- 1 half of cups (105 g) diced button or cremini mushrooms
- 1/Four tsp every sea salt and black pepper, plus extra to style
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- elective: 1 tsp coconut aminos
- Three Tbsp (21 g) cornstarch (or arrowroot // if not GF, sub all-purpose flour)
- half of cup (120 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk
- elective: 1-2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce or ketchup* (reminiscent of Annie’s model, which isn’t GF)
- 1 batch Easy Vegan Mozzarella “Cheese”, separated into 1 tsp quantities (which act as “cheese curds” // or sub 1 cup store-bought vegan mozzarella cheese)*
- FRIES: Preheat oven to 450 levels F (232 C) and chop potatoes into skinny slices by halving lengthwise then chopping into wedges after which strips. For “wedges,” minimize into bigger items – each work the identical, however matchsticks cook dinner sooner.
- Line two massive baking sheets with parchment paper. Add fries, oil (see notes for substitution), and salt and toss to coat. Then organize fries in a single layer, ensuring they aren’t overlapping an excessive amount of. This will assist them crisp up and cook dinner evenly.
- Bake for a complete of 25-35 minutes, tossing/flipping at the very least as soon as to make sure even baking. When the fries are completed, take away from oven and put aside.
- GRAVY: While fries are baking, put together gravy by heating a rimmed skillet over medium warmth. Once scorching, add oil (or water) and shallots. Sauté for 2-Three minutes, stirring often. Then add mushrooms, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and coconut aminos (elective).
- Stir and improve warmth to medium excessive to brown the mushrooms. Cook for Four-5 minutes or till they’re barely caramelized. Then add the cornstarch and stir to coat. It ought to look dry at this level – that’s OK.
- Lower warmth to low and slowly add the broth and almond milk whereas whisking. It ought to resemble gravy fairly rapidly and may bubble and thicken because it cooks.
- Cook for Four-5 minutes, or till you’ve got reached the specified consistency. Add broth or almond milk to skinny if it turns into too thick.
- Transfer to a blender and mix till clean (elective however really useful). Taste and alter taste as wanted, including extra salt and pepper to style or extra Worcestershire or coconut aminos for extra depth of taste. See notes for different additions should you want extra depth of taste.
- Return gravy to stovetop and warmth on lowest warmth to maintain heat.
- FOR SERVING: Add all the baked fries to at least one baking sheet. Then divide the Vegan Mozzarella Cheese into 1 tsp “curds” and add to the baked fries (I used simply shy of 1 batch of the recipe). Then place fries again in oven on the highest rack on medium-to-low broil so the cheese can soften and get barely browned. Watch fastidiously so the fries do not burn – Three-5 minutes.
- Pour the gravy over prime and dig in! This is a dish greatest loved recent! However, the cheese will retailer individually within the fridge as much as 10 days (see notes for different makes use of). The gravy will preserve within the fridge as much as 5 days (reheat on stovetop for greatest outcomes – add extra almond milk or broth to skinny if thickened), and the fries will retailer for 2-Three days (reheat in oven at 350 levels F (176 C) for greatest outcomes).
*FRIES: If avoiding oil, first steam your potatoes in a big steamer basket (lined) till virtually tender – about 10 minutes. Then organize on parchment-lined baking sheets and season with salt. Bake at 400 levels F (204 C) till barely golden brown – about 15 minutes. The fries received’t be as crispy, however they’re going to nonetheless be scrumptious.
*GRAVY: For extra taste, different additions may embrace a little bit dietary yeast and/or maple syrup.
*Based on my analysis, ketchup appeared to be a reasonably frequent addition to poutine gravy. However, the thought of ketchup in gravy weirded me out. I attempted it and didn’t prefer it. I discovered balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, and a contact of Worcestershire to strike taste steadiness.
*CHEESE: If you will have leftover cheese, it may be used on issues like sandwiches, caprese salads, pasta bakes, breadsticks, or pizza!
*Nutrition info is a tough estimate for 1 of 6 servings with all the instructed oil, all the gravy, and all the vegan cheese.
Serving dimension: 1/sixth of recipe Calories: 432 Fat: 28.Four g Saturated fats: 6.1 g Carbohydrates: 40.Three g Sugar: Three.5 g Sodium: 699 mg Fiber: Four.9 g Protein: 7.5 g